My blonde moments continue as I depart for my study abroad adventure in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Lima (Peru)!!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Disco!

Jenn and I at the "disco" bar

You know, it’s weird spending money in a foreign country because it looks so different to US dollars that I find it hard to believe it’s my own money that I’m spending.  Makes it hard to hold myself back, although it does help that everything is insanely cheap…for example custom made over the shoulder bags run around 450 rupees, or$4.50 and I bought a whole bag of laundry detergent for 40 cents! It’s crazy.  Went to Unawatuna again this afternoon and bought my very first pair of Sri Lankan trousers! Now I look just like a local (not really but close enough)! Then we all went to the Fort in Galle, it’s a heritage site which was built by the Dutch and is completely undamaged by the tsunami! Originally all of Galle was built inside the Fort only when it got too big did it expand to it’s current location. At night we went to what the Sri Lankans call “disco” (basically just a night of drinking and dancing) and rented a room at Unawatuna so we could stay the night!  It’s $10 per night, and that gets split between 4 of us! We were ready to have some akkarack (Sri Lankan rum) on the beach!!!! Great night of dancing with all the locals and some tourists.  Then as everyone who knows me well knows, I have to shower before I go to bed….yup still hasn't changed.  So Julian and I get back to the hotel room (we lost Jen and Linzi) and I go to shower and find that the shower head has been ripped out of the wall…..guess that’s what you get for a $10 room (the toilet didn't work either).  But in Sri Lanka, they don’t use toilet paper, they have this mini extendable shower head next to the toilet so you can “wash yourself” instead.  So me in a somewhat altered state of mind decided to use that as my shower instead.  Awesome.  To make things even better, the door wouldn't shut, every time we tried closing it, it would just blow right open again, but we couldn't lock it because Jenn and Linzi weren’t back yet.  So we ended up just holding it shut with a chair….really safe. BUT all was well and we all woke up the next morning went for a swim in the ocean and then had an amazing breakfast, real eggs and sausages and fried tomatoes, a nice break from the curry and rice we've been eating for the past 7 days!  
Tiffany, Tom and I inside the Fort playing Tarzan on the tree roots. Like my Sri Lankan trousers? 

2 comments:

  1. Wait...this is definitely the best shower story yet. AHAHAHAHAHAHA. MISS YOUU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY want your life!!! YOU GO GIRL:) Love ya, Pam

    ReplyDelete