My blonde moments continue as I depart for my study abroad adventure in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Lima (Peru)!!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Arrival in Galle

Fisherman
Some people think that I am a bad driver...those people need to come to Sri Lanka.  The road lanes here are merely suggestions as drivers prefer to carve their own lanes in the tarmac.  No joke I almost died 4 times on the car ride, BUT I made it! A man picked me up at the airport, unfortunatly I didn't understand a word he said to me, but I got in the car anyway...in hindsight this could have turned out badly.  The movie "Taken" running through anyone else's heads right now?? After 24 hours in the air or in airports and a 3.5 hour car ride from Colombo to Galle, I am now safe and sound in teh home of Michael Ferraira (the country coordinator for the program) and his family.  I also met the 6 other volunteers who are living with him, 2 of whom (Tom and Tiffany) are joining me at the elephant orphanage next week! Michael was telling us about the 2004 tsunami and all the damage it caused.  There was 30 feet of water in some parts, and shockinly, even though they live a stones thrown away from the ocean, very few Sri Lankans know how to swim.
Open air market in Galle
But I love it here already, the people are so warm and kind, although Michael did warn us of a number of scams to avoid.  Tom, Tiffany, Lindsay (from Scotland) and I spent the afternoon with Michael's daughter Denishi exploring Galle and the colourful spice markets.
*On a side note, the airport in Abu Dhabi is gorgeous, everyone should have a layover there at some point in their lives. 

1 comment: